- Emergency #
- Emergency 888-748-6024
Brownfields Redevelopment – In-situ DNAPL Stabilization and Site Redevelopment
Project Director, James Greacen, PG, LSP, LEP, Director of Site Assessment and Remediation at Mabbett has served as the Massachusetts Licensed Site Professional (LSP) of Record for the redevelopment of a 10-acre former manufactured gas plant (MCP) site located in Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA. The Site was redeveloped into a mixed-use planned unit development (PUD) consisting of approximately 1.3M ft² of commercial/biotechnology research space as well as two underground parking structures. The site contaminants included a three-acre plume of free phase coal tar and extensive MGP residuals in soil and groundwater including mercury. Remedial approaches implemented during the redevelopment, under the direction of Mr. Greacen, included excavation and in-situ stabilization of MGP residuals using auger mixing and high-pressure jet grout technologies.
Mabbett has prepared the final environmental closure documents and is soliciting public comment on the project. The closure documents include the groundwater monitoring program implemented and subsequently used by Mabbett to perform fate and transport modeling that demonstrates plume stability and no significant human health risk on site or to abutters. Mabbett will continue to support the environmental components of the redevelopment including risk assessment, enforcement of environmental deed restrictions, and long-term operation and maintenance (O&M) of the groundwater extraction system beneath the underground parking garage.
Mabbett has managed and implemented environmental remediation activities under the MCP for the redevelopment project since 2006. The project and associated redevelopment won the Grand Prize Phoenix Award at the 2006 Brownfields Conference in Boston, MA.
- Brownfields redevelopment
- Licensed site professional services
- LEED Certification assistance
- Groundwater monitoring program plan
- Fate and transport modeling
- Risk assessment
- Long-term operation and maintenance
- Excavation of an underground parking garage and contaminated soils management and segregation
- Air monitoring for Level C conditions and to protect the surrounding public
- Field pilot testing and innovative full-scale in situ solidification of DNAPL coal tars under high-pressure natural gas utilities
- Off-site management of 1,600 tons of RCRA hazardous and non-hazardous DNAPL grout spoils
- Off-site management of 50,000 yd³ of soil
- Preparation of MCP status reports engineering
- Design, construction engineering support and monitoring of 50 gpm parking garage dewatering treatment system